Friday, June 25, 2010

The long drive

So after breakfast and some pictures we drove out of Sedona at about 3pm. The loose plan was to drive from Sedona to Roswell (only because it looks like tis about half way between Sedona and Austin) find a place to crash in Roswell and finish the ride to Austin the next day. Well due to a few prolonged and unexpected stops, by the time we got to Albuquerque it was about 11pm. I told Brooks "Hey man, I don't think we're going to make it to Roswell, maybe we should think about finding a place to crash around here." Brooks thought about that for a minute and then in a calm and collected voice said,"I have a better idea, lets drive straight to Austin." I laughed because I thought it was a pretty funny joke. I turned to look at the humor in his face but he looked at me completely seriously. I was like, "Dude, are you fucking serious?" He was, so we did... We stopped at the Walmart in Albuquerque, bought four, five hour energy's and four Redbulls and drove straight to Austin.
The entire drive through New Mexico was at night so we didn't get to see what it looked like, the only thing we saw was a thunderstorm not far off on the horizon. We took these pictures.




We got to the border of Texas around 2 or 3am.


We drove through the morning and saw a ton of these oil wells



Some menacing stuff.

Then we got to a part of the state that really surprised me. We started to see wind mills all over the place. We drove and the wind mills stretched as far as the eye could see in all directions for over an hour (at 75mph).

(video to come)
We finally arrived in Austin around 1pm. 22 hours on the road? Yeaaaaaah, my life hurt. We definitely had to take a nap for a cool minute when we arrived.

2 comments: