Saturday, August 21, 2010

Eastbound and down

So we left Detroit Tuesday July 20th and drove straight through to New Jersey. Its about a ten hour drive. Ohio wasn't a very exciting state to drive through. In its defense the police made us leave with a bad taste in 0ur mouths.









The state was pretty beautiful. It wasn't the states fault that we were upset. We were driving down the freeway and we got pulled over by a SUV state trooper. We were sitting in the car and the trooper motioned for Brooks to get out and come back behind the van with him. Brooks went back there and they talked for a little while. After a few minutes a second state trooper pulled up behind the first car. I was watching through the rear view mirror when the trooper opened the back door and sat Brooks in the cop car. That's when he came back to the van and asked for the insurance and registration. I handed it to him and he asked me to step out of the van and come back there with him. The two troopers brought me back to the second SUV and asked me to sit in the back seat. It was when I walked past the car that they had sat Brooks in that I read the side of the car it said, "Ohio State Police K-9 Unit." shit...
According to Brooks the first police officer asked him if there were any drugs in the car. Brooks said no. Then the officer took the dog out of his vehicle and walked it around our van. When it got to the driver side door it sat down, evidently they don't train the dogs to bark when they smeel drugs anymore, they train them to sit. That's about when the third cop car showed up.
The officer came back to Brooks and said, "My dog is telling me that there are drugs in your vehicle. Do you have any idea why it would be?"
"Well I have a grinder which is probably under my seat. Its been used so it probably smells like weed."
"We're not looking for personal use, we're looking for more then that. We're going to search your vehicle now."
We sat in the cop cars for about a half hour as the cops searched for the drugs they thought we were trafficking from California to the east coast. Alas their search was in vein. They went through everything. Our tool boxes, our DVD box, our suitcases of clothing, EVERYTHING. When they were done they threw everything in a huge pile, let us out and let us on our way. They said to Brooks, "You might want to get rid of that grinder or clean it out. If you get pulled over again another cop can arrest you for that."
I guess the only thing good that came out of the situation was that they didn't bust us for the grinder, and they didn't even confiscate it. We both sat in the car and the first thing we said was, "I guess we have to go to a truck stop and straighten our van out." I have mixed feelings about the whole ordeal.
Next state was Pennsylvania. Man that state is pretty big, and there is a lot of nothing going on in most of it. I mean that in a good way. It was just east coast forest as far as the eye could see for most of the state. We need to go camping soooooon.







This is what most of the state looked like, beautiful.








MOAR!!!!

We arrived at my parents house around 11pm. The drive is finally over... The trip across the country was by far the most amazing 2 months of my life. I can't easily describe what we've been through, but I hope the blog has given you a rough idea of what we've been through. I want to thank everyone we left on the west coast, everyone we visited across the country and everyone we met on the trip. Meeting you all has been amazing. East coast we're excited to be here, this isn't the end of our trip, its just the beginning of the next part. I'm going to try to keep updating the blog with fun and exciting things that we do as we're here in New York. It probably wont get updated as often as it was on the road but please keep an eye on it every once in a while. Fun things will continue happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment